Monday, October 22, 2007

Fire

Oh my gosh, these fires and this wind are out of control. The poor firefighters can't even get a handle on it because the wind is so strong and unpredictable. The fire dropping planes can't really fly which is really hampering the efforts. And it's seems like fires are popping up left and right.

Sadly, these are perfect conditions for arsonists. They feed off of the attention and they know that these fires are getting national coverage. As far as I have heard there is only one that they know for sure was started by arson. But I would bet there will be more.

We are supposed to be going camping this weekend. I have a feeling the plans are going to change. Unless the fires all get contained, which isn't likely. This is probably the last chance before it gets too cold. Bummer.

On the other hand at least my house isn't in danger of burning down. I can't even imagine how freaked out those people must be. People tend to casually ask "what would be the first thing you would grab if your house was on fire?". The answer is usually universal: kids, pets, pictures computer etc. Obviously if I had like 2 minutes to get out I would get the kids and the pets. Everything else would have to burn. But the thought of that really freaks me out! I'd want my camera,pictures, my computer, important paper work, quilts that I have made, scrapbooks, the boys artwork. Their baby clothes...ahh, the thought of it is overwhelming. If everyone I love made it out alive I would feel eternally blessed...but you can't replace certain things and it would be devastating to lose years of mementos and memories.

Earthquakes are the disasters we tend to worry about around here, but even then, houses fall, things break, it's horrible but you can usually salvage things. When your house burns to the ground you tend to lose EVERYTHING.

I guess I have no right to complain if the fires ruin my camping trip. It could be so much worse! My heart goes out to all of the people that are having to deal with the "so much worse" at this very moment.

No comments: