Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I'm a freak.

I'm such a worry wart. It's seriously annoying. I annoy my friends and myself!!

I worry about everything. I overthink EVERYTHING. I rethink every decision I make. I worry too much about other peoples opinion of me. I worry about the past, the present and especially the future.

You know that saying "don't sweat the small stuff"? Yeah, I don't follow that at all!

I have a couple of friends that are totally easy going. Sometimes they come of as seeming like they don't care as much, but in reality I don't think that's the case. I think they just have an easier time adapting to things and they are ok with whatever happens. I wish I could tap into just a little bit of that.

I want to be able to worry when it's appropriate and just let the rest go. I want to be less of a people pleaser and be more genuine.

Also, I have noticed a few times in the last week or so that I appologize way too much for things that are either 1) out of my control entirely 2) that I'm not actually sorry about or 3) don't even require an applogy.

For instance...today at the bank this lady was distracted and wasn't watching where she was walking and bumped into me. My reaction? "oh, sorry". For what exactly?? For standing in line? For not jumping out of the way when she absently walked into me? I wasn't really sorry. I didn't need to be. But that was my first reaction.

There are countless other times that I do it.

See...so now I'm worrying about how much I appologize. I guess I should just face facts. I have issues.

Well, that's that then. Sorry if this bored you. :)

4 comments:

SpooWriter said...

...well, about the apologizing, I say: this world has little enough niceness in it. If you add some unnecessarily, the net result is, at worst, nothing, and generally positive.

I must say I'm sorry at "inappropriate" times too because I'm constantly clarifying that with a variety of "that was an expression of sympathy, not culpability."

Nothing wrong with being too nice.

Amie said...

I suppose that's true...

SpooWriter said...

Besides, I spend all day teaching kids social niceties...I'd be ecstatic if someone said "sorry" so absently that they went back later and were surprised they'd apologized for something. ;-)

kelly said...

I think it's part of being a female. I over-think everything as well. And, I'm forever worried about people being mad at me, or that I offended someone.
If you figure out a way to fix it, let me know!
For now, I have an arrangement with my husband where I ask him, "Is it rational for me to worry about _____?" Usually the answer is no.
I could let you borrow him if you need to. : )