Saturday, February 23, 2008

Little road trip. stupid photobucket.

I'm back! It only took 9 days this time...that's an improvement.
Actually, I wrote a big fat post yesterday that was full of nothing nice and I deleted it. So, since today was a zillion times better than yesterday I'm back to post about happy things!

We went to Santa Barbara today. It wasn't a planned thing. My plans for the day consisted of laundry and grocery shopping and possibly a trip to library. But we were eating breakfast and my mom called and said she was bored and wanted to get out of the house. She's been wanting to go to the Santa Barbara zoo for awhile now, so even though it was chilly and cloudy we decided to go. I'm pretty much always game for anything that gets me out of doing laundry!

We had so much fun! I love the Santa Barbara Zoo. I know the San Diego zoo is supposed to be so phenomenal, but I'm really not that impressed with it. It might have something to do with the fact that it's so big and we usually end up going on really hot days when none of the animals are very active. But anyway, I totally prefer the Santa Barbara zoo. For one thing, even though it's more than an hour away the drive for the most part is pretty. I love driving along the coast (even when it'd drizzling, which it was today). The other thing is that the zoo is right on the coast and you can see the ocean in the background of some of the exhibits, which is super cool.

We were there for about 4 hours and got to see everything.
First thing was the train ride.

(I tried for 20 minutes to put pictures of the kids on the train right here. But, even though I was asking Photobucket very nicely to resize them it was choosing not to. Instead of enormous pictures right here, we're going to use our imaginations. k? There was a train. We rode it. You've seen trains...you've seen cute kids...so imagine it.)

We spent a long time at the Giraffes because you can pay to go onto this platform to feed them!

Photobucket

I'm not sure who liked it more, the kids or my mom!
Photobucket

Giraffes have freakishly long tongues! I knew that, but had never been licked by one until today!

Check out the ocean in the background
Photobucket

I wont bore you with 800 pictures from the zoo but here's one of a rare breed of huge (clothed) baby birds

Photobucket


We found on empty stage on the way to the monkeys...and there is only one thing to do when you find an empty stage.

Breakdance.
Photobucket


When we were done at the zoo we drove over to the beach. The boys were begging to play in the water and I was trying to remind them that it was 50 degrees outside. We compromised and walked on the pier and got some dinner at a restaurant at the end of it.



We froze as we walked, but it was worth it. The restaurant was nice and warm and the food was soooo good. While we waited for out seats, the boys checked out the lobsters.


Photobucket


We sat at a long bar facing a window. The water was really choppy and it was raining but the view was still good and we were happy.

Here's McKay and my mom right before they cracked open their crab (Gentry had grilled cheese)
Photobucket

It started to pour on our way home, but we made it and now we're in our warm house and the boys are sound asleep. I'm listening to the rain and contemplating which pay per view movie I want to watch.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

SpooWriter said...

Cool. :-)

I love Santa Barbara. I especially love the huge Borders on State Street.